Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weaning Too Early

Having a child, you have to be careful in choosing which advice you can follow and which advice is a no-no. When I was pregnant with Umairah, the doctors and nurses and my sister & brother in law (who are doctors) and my mom told me that babies should not start weaning (eating food other than breast milk) until at least 6 months old. Some said five. Mostly said 6.

Anyhow, with that etched in mind, it what so SHOCKING when I learned that certain people gave food to their babies as early as 1 week! These sort of people even tried to feed Umairah dates. Luckily I managed to stop them although I do suspect that someone managed to feed Umairah something when she was 3 month old (somewhere in October or early November) and I was asleep. What made me suspect was because Umairah vomited and pooed heavily and it was a different colour (not the usual yellow). I did not have proof so my husband told me to let it pass or it would turn into bickering or worse, fitnah.

I tried to understand why they feed their baby too early. Some say it's because the baby seems to want to eat (because the mouth was moving as if mimicking eating...duh!) Some say it's because the baby's hungry (because still crying even after breastfeeding) and needs to be sated. Some say it's because the baby would quiet down and would usually sleep for hours, mostly throughout the night without waking up. To justify further, they say that it has been done by those before them and look, the babies grew up just fine and are now adults. They even say some mothers now a days are too 'cerewet' and worry too much. So, as you can see, some are plain naive about this and some are just plain lazy! I feel so sorry for their babies.

Imagine the pressure I face every time I'm around these people and they keep comparing Umairah to other babies who are younger but bigger than her (because they eat) and when Umairah cries, they say it's because she wants to eat! It's a great relief that Umairah's turning 6 month old next month. I can start introducing her to food but SLOWLY. Wouldn't want to shock her tummy. I've even allowed Umairah to taste fruits.

Most of the 'now-adults' that I know did not get much breast milk or were introduced to weaning too early have resdung or/and are lactose intolerant or/and have skin problems. Medical studies have shown that babies who do not get enough breast milk have weaker antibody, weaker resistance to infection and allergies, weaker digestive and immune system, lower brain development and even lower IQ. It can even damage the linings (usus), liver and kidneys of the baby as the inner organs are not mature enough. Why take that risk?

I do not deny that some 'traditional ways' do work and are not harmful. In fact, some of the advises have helped me in taking care of my baby. However, I believe that doctors and pediatricians know better about babies. Please do not pressure people to raise their kids the way you raised yours. Advice is welcomed but do not pressure or push any further if people don't want to follow.

3 comments:

  1. I did faced the same problem. huhu, tapi diaorang cakap je tapi takut nak buat sbb setiap kali they kept comparing Zahra dgn anak2 orang lain yang start makan befor5/6 months, saya buat muka macam malas nak dengar..haha, jahat kan! But she is my baby, so, biar la saya yang tentukan apa yang terbaik buat dia. I introduced zahra with solid food bila dia dah 5 months ++. Basically, bagi dia rasa je. Oranges, apples, grapes, dan makanan dalam botol yang memang utk babies. Alhamdullillah, so, far ok...Good Luck, Alina

    ReplyDelete
  2. sis in law saya still breastfeed anak dia wpun dh mula mkn...skrg anak buah saya dh setahun 2 bln, tp masih nk susu ibu...teruskan breasfeeding alina, sampai umairah cerai susu...bijak anak awk nnt...anak buah saya tu, lebih mature dr baby2 yg sebaya ngan dia...siap boleh suh buat keje lg (hehe...buli anak buah sdiri)..
    ada kwn sy tu, langsung x bg anak dia mkn mknn lain b4 5/6 months...susu ibu je...susu biasa pn x bg gak..baru 3 bln, semangat sgt...jgn dgr sgt ckp org...do the best for umairah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. betul ckp dayah tu, sy pun baru je mula2 nk bg mkn bb sy (dia 5 bulan lebih), tp bg nestum yg sgt lite (saya bancuh cair2 pastu letak kat botol). itupun sy bg sehari sekali, 2 oz kdg pun xabis just nak introduce dia ngan mknn lain selain susu ibu.Tp tu terpulang pd kita sbg ibu dia, kita yg jaga dia so kita tau la mcm mana anak kita kan2 ..hehe maklumla 9 bulan kita kandungkan dia.

    ReplyDelete