I was at one of the government agencies to have a document done. It was not even 8am yet but there was already more than 20 people waiting in line in front of me. As I was waiting, a guy, perhaps in his late 30s or early 40s, came and sat beside me. He introduced himself and told me he was from Cagamas. When he gave me his card, I saw his designation...probably one of the top five people in that company. Anyhow, he asked me questions and I answered.
He told me I was lucky to be a pi-tee-dee and said that if he could turn back time to 15 years ago, he would have applied to be a pi-tee-dee. I asked him why would he want to do that coz his salary right now is so so so much bigger (and not to forget the bonuses) than if he had been in this service for 15 years (or perhaps even until 30 years) and he said it was because of the privileges that we received - the scholarship, the travelling, etc. The grass is always greener on the other side.
Before I could explain that it was not something that everyone in the service received, my number was up. I excused myself, went to the counter, was told I had to wait another hour, so decided to search for a place to have breakfast.
I found a small restaurant not far from the agency. The owner (I think he's the owner) was really nice coz when I asked him if there was any cybe cafe nearby, he pointed out to me a few. But he added "Jangan pergi cyber cafe yang pintu dia tertutup dan gelap ye."
I looked at him, puzzled. He noticed that and explained, "Pintu tertutup dan cermin gelap tu biasanya buat aktiviti tak baik. Judi. Adik jangan masuk situ." I almost smiled at how concerned he was. A person who cares about the society. And he even called me Adik...which felt weird when being at the end of my 20s.
For nasi goreng kampung, sebiji telur goreng, sebiji kuih dan air horlicks, he charged me only RM3.40. Before I left, he pointed out to me two cyber cafes that had open-doors and no dark windows. I thank him and left.
An interesting day in an everyday life.

No comments:
Post a Comment