Monday, May 18, 2009

Sugar Test

Last week I was supposed to visit a project in Negeri Sembilan. I thought I could make it on time although I had to go through a sugar test at a government clinic coz my colleague told me that the test would only take 20 minutes. Turns out that it took 2 HOURS and I had to cancel the project visit.

It's my first (and hopefully last) sugar test. The nurse told me that I had to take the test coz my weight 'naik mendadak' within the last month (i'm supposed to only gain 2kg/month of thirdmester but I gained 2.5kg). But my friend told me "memang semua orang kena buat sugar test at least sekali waktu pregnant". I donno which is true.

I arrived at the clinic as early as 7.30am. The nurse took blood sample at 8.15am. Then, I had to drink a cup full of concentrated sugar. Perit giler tekak. We (the group of mothers undergoing the test) were told not to leave the clinic until the second blood sample have been taken (which would be within 2 hours). To fill the time, we were ushered into a small room (really crowded) and the nurses gave us a speech on balanced diet. There was even a demo on how to cook vegies...the most important thing that they wanted to tell us was to always close the lid of the pot to avoid the nutrients from evaporating.

A nurse saw that I looked pale and asked if I felt like fainting. Yes, I did feel 'semacam', a bit lightheaded and it was hard for me to concentrate on the lecture. The nurse announced that whoever felt like fainting, should inform the nurse immediately coz there are some poeple who cannot tolerate too much sugar in their blood.

I didn't faint and went through the very-long-two-hour wait. The second blood sample was taken and I was allowed to go. They'd tell me the result on my next visit. I wonder if I failed the test coz I felt like fainting. My mom came and picked me up at the clinic at around 11am.

I'm in my 34th week now. I'm planning to give birth at AnNur Clinic, Bangi just because I want my husband to accompany me throughout the whole process...pre-labour, labour and post-labour. Besides, based on own and observed experience at a local gvrnmt hospital, I don't want a nurse shouting and scolding at me or a doctor threatening to not treat me because I was not "doing-it-right" (i'm not a doctor so i wouldn't know if i was doing things right or not without proper guidance...proper means clear instructions and no shouting!...it's hard enough dealing with the pain and at the same time having to concentrate with the instructions without the shouting).

But when a colleague, who is also pregnant, told me that she asked around and was told that the husband can be by the wife's side throughout the whole process at Hosp Putrajaya if there's a single room available, I just had to reconsider...and am still considering. Firstly, I have to make sure if it's true.

The pro about giving birth at swasta is that my husband can be by my side 24/7. The doctors and nurses wouldn't be adding my pain with more hurting words of scolding. My baby would be 'sambut' by a doctor, not some nurse or training-doctor. The con about giving birth at swasta is that it's damn expensive. I'm not even sure that they have proper and enough equipment & experience to handle if anything unexpected happens during labour. People says swasta would usually just 'tolak' the case to gvrnmnt hospitals if they can't handle, but u still have to pay them (swasta).

Nak pilih tempat bersalin pun bukan main susah. Apa2 pun pilihan saya, minta2 Tuhan permudahkan urusan...

1 comment:

  1. Bukan semua orang undergo sugar test tu waktu peknen, yang mana2 ada potensi high sugar in blood je yang kena coz, saya x kena pun. Then, saya rasa x der kaitan pun fail test tu dgn awak nak pengsan. tapi pelik juga. Sebab selalunya nak pengsan kalau gula x cukup dalam darah. kalau fail test tu maknanya awak gula dalam darah awak normal la kan? saya bersalin kat goverment,ok je. I think may be coz my mother was the hospital staff before. so they treat me right. I mean really good. nanti kalau nak bersalin lagi memang akan pilih nak bersalin kat hospital tu lagi..:) bincang dengan saiful tengok macam mana dulu la..good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete