Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Even Machines Breakdown Sometimes

After months of lack and inconsistent sleep, my body reached its boiling point yesterday. I was freezing down to my bones no matter how many layers of clothing I wore. When my dad came home that afternoon to send my brother to school, he took me to the hospital. My temperature was 39++C and I was starting to see monochrome spots.

“Kenapa tunggu sudah dekat 40 darjah celcius baru jumpa doctor?” the doctor was about to start his lecture.

I told him that I had already gone last Saturday to a clinic near my residential area and showed him the medication that doctor gave me.

“Ubat ni kementerian kesihatan sudah tak benarkan bagi,” and although I was in no mood of asking any question, he went on explaining why my fever did not subside and got worse even after taking medication since Saturday. Good doctor. I like that he doesn’t think his patient is too dumb to understand the medical world.

He took blood sample (that hurts) and gave me an injection (that hurts too). Before he gave me the injection he said, “Kurusnya budak ini.” I would have jumped with joy and my face would have lit up like neon light bulb if only I weren’t so sick.

“You balik rumah, rehat betul2. I bagi you MC 2 hari.”

DUA hari, doktor?? DUA?? Betul ke ni? Wow weeeee!!! And I didn't even ASK for an MC. But in reality I only said “Ok.”

The first advice (balik rumah) I can follow. No problem. But the second, that’s quite impossible coz I have a sick child to look after.

Just a few minutes after the injection, I no longer felt like I was in Antarctica. The medication included were for flu, fever, ulser, cough, and antibiotic. Being KPJ, the cost was no less than RM100. Luckily I didn't spend much for raya.

Umairah and Irfan started to take turn getting sick since we sent them to nursery last April. My mom felt pitty and offered to take care of Umairah so Umairah stays with my mom from Monday to Friday. I pick her up and take her home (Semenyih) for the weekend. Coz my mom's too old to care for both, Irfan has to stay at the nursery. Babies don't sleep much when they are sick. Thus, my sleepless nights. When I was 18, I could 'qada' sleep. But being 28, it doesn't work that way anymore. Aging starts to catch up.

The thing that worries me about always not being at the office is being replaced and sent to a remote area, like they did to a guy before me who always went MIA. Anyone could replace me at the office (no one is irreplaceable) but no one can replace me as a mom. I believe these dark clouds will pass. I would once again have my nights of peaceful sleep and my days filled with Umairah’s and Irfan’s laughter. Yes, these dark days will pass. And hopefully, before I get transferred to Sabak Bernam.

No comments:

Post a Comment