10 years ago, in 2002, I saw a piece of paper (handwritten) on the noticeboard of my university's surau. It said that Gardenia was 'haram' and it condemned anyone who ate Gardenia. In my nicest handwriting possible, I wrote below that JAKIM had already 'sahkan halal' and you should not 'haramkan yang halal', this might be a propaganda from a competing bread company and you are being part of the 'penyebar fitnah' and etc. I wrote it in Malay. The next day, I got a long angry reply, i presume from the person who stuck the paper there, calling me 'jahil' and other bad words that I shan't mention. I wrote my phone number there if she'd like to contact me (i assume a 'she' coz the reply she wrote was so very emotional) but of course, she didn't.
Yesterday, I got an email from my email-group-friends, about something almost similar to the one above, but even sillier. It even listed any ice cream above rm1 as 'haram'. How much more dumb and taksub could you be? I'm not angry at my friend who sent this. Thanks to him, at least I know these things are still around. It was even posted at several websites.
I replied to this email using 'reply to all' and again, got bombarded. I'm writing this because I'm saddened and frustrated. Not because of people not agreeing. I'm used to people not agreeing with me. But because it just shows how people would rather just follow blindly and not think logically and clearly. This is what I replied. You may bombard me if you wish.
"this list is very vague, kinnda funny & demeaning...
take number 4 for example...
if i decide to sell home-made ice-cream for rm1.20, it automatically falls into this 'haram' list? when we declare something someone makes (that is halal) as haram, doesn't it fall under fitnah?
just my 2 cents. some on the list might be true, some might not. Islam encourages us to think. don't follow blindly.

No comments:
Post a Comment