Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Raya Preparations

Sometimes, it's quite embarrassing to tell people that you are doing Raya preparations. Some people would say "Puasa belum separuh jalan lagi dah sibuk nak raya?" and things like that. Mr.H refused to go out 'hunting' baju Raya until Ramadan sets in. Because of the 'late action', when Mr.H took me and my siblings to Jalan TAR last Saturday, most of the clothes that I wanted was out of size.

I got to buy the design that I wanted, but ended up having to do the alterations myself. Mr.H decided that the theme for this year is 'merah darah ikan'. That colour was quite hard to find. I had to settle for an 'L' size and adjust the waist of the 'kain' as it was SIX inches too big. No doubt the 'baju' would look a little baggy (as if I were wearing my mom's) but Mr.H said "Lagi longgar lagi bagus"...hmmm...psfft... Because it had linings, detaching-adjusting-cutting-adjusting-attaching was so much harder than I thought it would be. My mom helped a lot. It wasn't a smooth finish, despite the many adjusting, but I guess it would do okay. The waistband would of course be hidden under the baju but I think it would still distort the silhouette a little.

I did the bead works for the royal blue baju kurung all over again because the ready-made ones were threatening to fall off. That's what you get for buying mass-produced item, no matter what brand. I just had to sew them again coz I know The Little Fingers (Irfan's & Umairah's) would try to detach the bling-bling beads and put in on themselves (to no avail). I didn't bother to go out just to find a matching thread. Luckily, my sewing was good enough for the thread not to show on the outside. On Sunday, the doctor gave me two days sick leave for hypovolemia (blood pressure was below 100/60).  Sometimes I feel like a 25 year old trapped in a body of a 78 year old. I'm neither (yeah, that's how messed up I get sometimes). So many things to do but the body's degrading too fast.

With two days being at home for sick leave, I had more than enough time to finish doing the beadings of both the baju raya. Irfan and Umairah were happy I was around day and night. Last night they played 'pretend-pregnant'. I'm not sure why. Are they eager to get a new playmate? If it's meant to be, I do hope that I have the strength..and the health.

(Side-track: Someone came up to me a few weeks ago and bragged about getting pregnant and giving birth every year (she's in her 2nd year marriage) and added the sting by saying "yang ke-2 ni pun lelaki jugak". Most people know how much I hate it when someone puts so much proudness in getting a male child, whatmore when it comes from the mouth of a woman. I wanted to answer back with something kejam like "biasa la orang ada kerjaya" coz I earn far more than she does but I simply answered "Rezeki" and walked away. Darn.)

Next 'hunting' priority would be a blue baju raya for Umairah and a merah darah ikan baju Melayu for Irfan. Owh, they would look so cute!

The last time we went 'hunting' for baju raya was so many years ago...before Umairah was born (if I remember correctly).  The years after that, I just used whatever baju kurung that I had that was closest to the theme. Usually, it's the wife that determines the theme colour but in my case, it's Mr.H coz every 1st Day of Raya, his family would take a family photo and everyone would be wearing the theme colour. I don't have to ask whether it's compulsory or not coz no one wants to stand out in a picture for the wrong reason (i.e. wearing blue when everyone else is wearing red).

4 comments:

  1. how come the floor looks so shiny in this picture? :)

    btw, someone who regularly tells me gossips about other people (i never purposely started those sessions nor have i ever shown much interest but she will tell me anyway.. sometimes the same stories again and again even of those who trust her with their secrets) one day said to me, 'walaupun ko ckp la ko merancang ke apa, org kt belakang ko mesti still pertikaikan knp ko xde anak..' and i just said, 'ye ke..' but in my head, i was like, 'and you know wht people say behind me because you were one of them, right..'

    ReplyDelete
  2. anyway, since i've lost some mass (5 kg!) and trying to lose more, i feel happier overall and when ppl tease me about having kids, i wont get so worked up like i used to (remember those rogue 'my luahan perasaan' texts you had to read?). amazing. now i just think 'meh..' in my head and continue with my work. read somewhere that losing some fat might make us more positive, seems like common sense, but i didnt expect to lose a lot of those raging emotions about 'bila nk ada anak' questions and statements. myb bcs im constantly conscious about what i eat and how many steps and physical activities i've done, i have less time to be infuriated at inconsiderate people pretending to be ask "well-meaning questions/statements". so my discovery is when i've lost 5 kgs and continue to be fitter my emotions are less hairwire. good for me.

    hahah.. panjangnya komen saya. dah lama x tulis blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. conclusion: annoying people will always find something about themselves (even if it isn't the slightest impressive) and shove it in other people's face, 'look, i'm better than u bcs i have 2 sons!' like it's an achievement of a lifetime. if u dont have kids, annoying people will tell u long stories about their kids and when ur reaction is not ecstatic enough they would shove it in your face 'nanti ko dah ada anak baru ko akan experience semua ni..' or 'blurr je ko sbb xde anak..' dgn bangganya, like i've never seen a baby or been with a baby my whole life? haha. i used to think "wow hebatnya ko dah experience semua tu. does your experience make u a better coworker to me? no. anyway tahniah lah." but now it's just 'apa2 je lah' in my head and i move on and forget about it and do my job.. except when i see a related blog post by someone im close to, i will rant :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still have a passion for writing. Perhaps you should start blogging again. But set passwords. I'm having trouble with that too coz so far the readers that i know are people i trust. Who knows if someone i don't trust is secretly reading my blog with ill intentions. I don't know how to set passwords to selected articles or posts.

    ReplyDelete