My mother in law woke me up at 3.15am. The taxi arrived at 3.50am, 10 minutes early, to my annoyance. I don't really like it when taxies arrive earlier than supposed to, coz although i know they would wait, it still makes me feel like i'm being rushed. The taxi driver, Uncle Sami was my mother in law's neighbour so there was not much safety issue to be worried about. However, he kept the windows down the whole journey and I had to bare with the smokes from busses and lorries and at a few points, especially when he passed by estates, the smell of cow dunk. He said he'd be taking a short-cut and save me 30minutes. This short-cut comprised of mostly narrow roads alongside estates and didn't have street lights. It was quite a scary one hour journey as ours were the only car on the road most of the time. I suddenly remembered unnecessary things like the murder case of a rich women and her three male escorts that took place in an estate. I didn't look outside the car, wouldn't want to see 'unnecessary figures'. I concentrated chatting with Uncle Sami. The roads were surprisingly in good condition (for an estate road) as it was not so bumpy and we didn't encounter any potholes. The fare was RM90. Uncle Sami said he usually charges RM100 for late-night (or ungodly hours) trip but he's giving me a discount.
When I reached the airport, it was 5am. I decided to take a nap at the surau. When i woke up at 6.05am, two girls were staring at me and it took me a minute to register that they were talking to me. "Aku tinggalkan beg aku macam ni la waktu hilang tu," and pointed at my bag. The person next to her was a student who came in to pray Subuh.
She had slept there at midnight and when she woke up at about 4am, her handbag was gone, along with her money, next transit flight ticket to Singapore where her parents were, identification card, and passport.
After making a police report, I bought her breakfast and discussed with her what to do next. The police had advised her to make a new identification card and passport at Putrajaya. I paid for a cab to take her there and by the time I wanted to check-in, I had already missed my 7.35am flight.
I paid the RM75 no-show penalty and took the next flight, 9.15am. I contacted my colleagues, who were already in Penang since yesterday evening, telling them I would be 2 hours late and they should start without me. Luckily I'm not the most senior in this assignment or I would have burdened a junior officer to sort-of chair the opening session. I'll probably get a little lecture from the senior coz all the others in the group had came early and I had thought that I would arrive just in time for the 9am opening had I taken the 7.35am flight.
I contacted Mr.H and told him I had missed the flight. He couldn't understand how I could have missed the flight when I took the 4am taxi and arrived at the airport at 5am. After I told him what happened, he said what if it was all a lie and an act?
So, here I am. Blogging on my iPad while waiting for my next flight.
No comments:
Post a Comment