It rained last night and was still a bit drizzly this morning. There was no blaring of honks and no traffic congestion. A lot of people were still on holiday. This is as peaceful as it gets in my city.
As I was walking to my office, I saw a dead bird outside the glass wall of the corridor. Dead and alone on the cold concrete floor. Somehow, small dead birds remind me of a childhood story tale - "The Happy Prince". My dad bought me lots of books when I was little and this was one of the stories that I remembered most. I wonder how many people I know have ever read the story.
Spoiler alert: Anyhow, don't be fooled by the title. It is not a "happy" story at all. It's a story of how ungrateful people can be and the unsung sacrifice where in the end, both the bird and the prince died for the people around them. No one thanked them.. their lifeless body was discarded unceremoniously and no one ever knew of their sacrifices.
Perhaps I remembered it most because I cried at the ending. After all, fairy tales are not supposed to be sad storied. They are supposed to end with "...and they lived happily ever after".
Perhaps I remembered it most because, as I grew up, I realized that it was one of the rare story tale that was closest to reality.

Kalau endingnya sedih, kena bakar buku tau. Tanda protes.
ReplyDelete