Thursday, April 14, 2011

An International Seminar

My boss sent me to an international seminar/event held at a 5-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Since I was the only one sent, I had to rely on my limited social skill to keep myself from being bored.

The event itself was interesting although it was not really my field. There were a lot of important people (I do feel that it’s wrong to label people as ‘important people’ as everyone is important...maybe except for criminals) from the business industry. I was surprised when a CEO of a famous & big company (let’s keep it unnamed) approached me while I was reading a book (so bookwormish of me). I was again surprised when he asked “anak lecturer ke?”. Was it written on my face? He said that ‘anak lecturer’ has a typical look and when I still looked puzzled, he added “muka budak baik.” I was not quick to 'kembang/perasan' coz I think what he really meant was 'muka skema'. Ahaha.

I felt really awkward when people at the event gave me their card coz I didn’t bring mine and I felt it was really impolite and odd to receive card from others but not give yours in return. Really must remember to bring my card everywhere after this.

I had a lot of time to observe the surrounding. The food was magnificent! The caramel pudding was heavenly. There was also a dark chocolate fountain and a chocolate-strawberry fountain with dipping choices of marshmallows, bahulu, fruits which included strawberries and raspberries!

The participants were ALL well dressed. Most of them were beautiful. It just proves that most successful people are blessed with beauty AND brains. Unfortunately, I lacked both and that made me feel really awkward being at that event. You could also easily spot people carrying 11-inch laptops and iPads. Even some of the speakers had iPads with them on stage. Cool.

That was also the first event that I attended that had manicure service! and a massage chair that was available for participants' use throughout the event. For free!

The workers (hotel staffs) were dressed...errr...’attractively’. I don’t see the point of wearing a long skirt.

Of course, this is not the report that I’ll be submitting to my boss. Ahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment