Friday, January 20, 2012

A-Holes

Yesterday someone said something very demeaning to me, just before a meeting started. It took quite a lot of my energy to calm the storm inside me and continue the meeting as if nothing happened. When a colleague asked me why she would say something like that to me, the only answer I could think of was "clash of personality". I think it's quite logical that someone when sees herself as "aggressive&strong" would instantly dislike someone they perceive as lembut lembek.

Six years ago, I did try to ask her what she felt was so wrong about me but I never got the answer. When my immediate boss at that time tried to interfere, she got even angrier. When someone insults you, if you don't fight back, you would be perceived as weak. But I think it takes more strength NOT to fight back. So many factors come into play...who you are, what point in your career you are at, who the offender is, how much you will accomplish by turning the encounter, and so on. But the most important thing is, as Mr.Hubby put it, "buat ape la awak buang masa fikir pasal dia. Tak payah layan la." When you encounter someone like that, you appreciate the good ones even more.

Just accept the fact that some people feeds off of conflict, jumps at opportunities to fight, and uses others as avenues towards feeling better about their own unresolved issues.
Tuhan Maha Adil, Alina. She is not worth your time. Let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment