Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Sense Of An Ending

The last time I read a beautifully written book was almost exactly two years ago. It's very difficult to find a very good novel. Like searching for a needle in a haystack.

When I read the summary of plot at the jacket, it did not interest me at all. Remembering how eager my sister was at recommending I read this book, which was the winner of the 2011 Man Booker Prize, I continued reading...and couldn't put the book down. I finished reading it in one day, something I have not done in months.

The novel was so compelling and intense and stunning!

The plot of the story is besides the point. The story is about an old man (middle-aged) who is 'forced' to remember his past in order for him to understand what was currently happening. But, as repeatedly stressed in this book, how accurate can your memory be when it is based on the imperfection of your perception? The Sense Of An Ending is a deeply morale story. Actions that you may, at that time, feel inconsequential. But time, as made clear in this novel, catches up with people.

When I reached page 163, the last page of the book, I felt unrest. I texted my sister, hoping to get some ‘assurance’ about the ending. The ending was really disturbing and devastating. But then again, I have never found a beautifully written book that had a happy ending. I drove to work today still thinking about the narrator (the old man) and his psychological view of life’s losses, mistakes, disappointments, and etc. Would I one day end up like the old man? It’s possible, isn’t it?

An example of the troubling psychological observation:
I certainly believe we all suffer damage, one way or another. How could we not, except in a world of perfect parents, siblings, neighbours, companions? And then there is the question, on which so much depends, of how we react to the damage: whether we admit it or repress it, and how this affects our dealings with others. Some admit the damage and try to mitigate it; some spend their lives trying to help others who are damaged; and then there are those whose main concern is to avoid further damage to themselves, at whatever cost. And those are the ones who are ruthless, and the ones to be careful of.
-Julian Barnes, "The Sense Of An Ending", page 48-

I found myself lingering over some sentences because they were so beautifully written. Please do yourself a favour and read this book.

After reading the novel, I read about the author. Besides the 2011 Man Booker Prize, he had achieved other awards and honours. A brilliant mind indeed. I look forward to reading more of his works.

3 comments:

  1. I also started reading a small bit, i.e. a few pages maybe.. thinking that since I don't have that many books to read maybe I'd make this book last a week or two but the next time I picked it up I gobbled up everything greedily in one night! (and felt very sleepy at work the next day.. but it was worth it!)

    When I started reading TSOAE, it felt a bit weird.. Maybe because I haven't been reading sentences written in the writer's style for some time. Actually the language used in this book wasn't heavy, so that might mean I have gotten used to VERY simple and basic English sentence for quite some time before picking up this book.

    Ehh.. tak juga. Before this book I've been reading Stephen King and his sentences are not 'basic'.

    I guess it's just that the style of the sentences in TSOAE is very very different. Like you said, the words are very, very beautifully arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P/S: Can't wait to pass Jamrach's Menagerie to you. I managed to be more patient this time and read it in small parts to finish it in a week. Hope you'll review that one too! It's really nice to have someone else read what you read :)

    ReplyDelete