Tuesday, May 06, 2014

~Tuuut~ punya resepi Char Kuey Teow

Masin peghat!
Have you ever encountered a blog that "puji melangit" his/her recipe and when you try it out accurately and step by step, it turns out like trash food? I have and it happened to me today! (I am still very angry).

Here in America, there's no pasta kuey teow sold, of course. So, when I found a japanese pasta that looked like kuey teow and made with almost the same ingredients, I was excited to cook kuey teow basah.

kuey teow japanese version
Previously in Malaysia, I've cooked it using Chef Hanieliza's recepie. It turned out great and even Mr. H got excited and tried to cook his own tweaked version (extra pedas and etc.). However, because I've only cooked it about four or five times, not something routinely like the normal dry, goreng2 food, I couldn't remember the exact amount of ingredients.

Then, I found this blog that wrote out a kuey teow basah recipe and "puji melangit" her own recipe. The ingredients seem to be the same as I had done before except that I doubted her measurements, especially the SIX spoons of oyster sauce.

"Kalau ragu2 tak yah la ikut sebijik-sebijik," Mr.H said and went off to send Irfan to pre-kindergarten.

"Tapi...dia puji mcm sedap giler resepi dia...husband dia mintak masak hari2..." me  having confidence in other people (a complete stranger!) rather than myself.

Needless to say, when everything was done, it was too darn salty and ended up in the trash can. I'm just lucky Mr.H didn't scold me for wasting his "bahan2" and just laughed at me for my silliness and said, "Husband dia puji sbb nak benda lain la tu". Cit. Ke situ pulak.

I am still angry with that blog (and would never visit it again) although I realize I am partly to blame too. Of course, there are some blogs that are reliable, mostly prominent bloggers that have even been featured in magazines.

Cooking lesson of the day: If it's not something you are used to cooking, stick to recipes by professional chefs and acclaimed bloggers.


3 comments:

  1. yes, chef hanieliza's recipes are simple and reliable.. suka jugak. btw myb oyster sauce yg org tu guna tawar eber kut? sy pernah ikut resipi meatball soup dari buku resipi singapore (yg mcm acclaimed je) dan terlalu masin. i think it's bcs my fish sauce memang dah masin pastu tambah garam lagi. maybe the writer's fish sauce x masin. sbb resipi lain yg sy dh cuba mostly okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...rajinnya awak mencuba resepi...saya klu dh jumpa yg resepi yg kena ngan tekak saya, xdenya nk try yg lain. kadang resepi dlm buku masak pn bkn sedap sgt,...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. six spoons.. whoa that's quite a lot! but i also realized that the saltiness in oyster sauce varies between different brands. contohnya kalau kat malaysia ni, yg adabi punya mild aje but kimball ke maggi punya, sungguh la masin. so i stick to adabi until now. lolx

    ReplyDelete