Friday, June 12, 2009

Eddings, David

In the 1990s, during my time at Convent Kajang High School, I used to rent books from a store called 'BookWorm'. I'm not so sure if the store still exists. The system goes like this: you pay about RM35 for a book, they'll return you RM30 when you return the book. If you don't return it, they won't call you up but you won't get back your money. The downpayment's not exactly RM35, and the renting cost is not exactly RM5. It depends on the thickness, popularity, etc. of the book. But the books that I rented those days would usually cost me between RM3.50 and RM10 per book.


Among the books that I rented were David Eddings'. He died last week, 2nd of June. I read his books 'The Belgariad' series (5 books), 'The Malloreon' series (5 books), 'The Elenium' series (3 books) and 'The Tamuli' series (3 books). I don't remember if I read all or if there were one or two books which I could not find at the store. But I surely didn't read 'The Dreamers' series, didn't catch my interest.


Remembering how I really liked the series that I read, I bought his book 'The Redemption of Althalus' two and a half year ago. Until now, I haven't finished reading it. Was not a hard-to-put-down book.


I enjoyed reading most of his books, especially during my teenage years. The epic fantasy novels brought me to an interesting 'world' and I still remember some of the character and lines till now.

1 comment: